Wine of the Week for May 8, 2006

Masi Modello Delle Venezi Bianco 2004 - $9.95
Style: W3
Italy

Based on the native Garganega grape, this is not your usual Italian white quaffer. With a light green straw colour, it shows a rather gewurztraminer-like nose with rich orange zest, musk and a touch of dried cherry. The palate is round and mellow with a perfectly balanced acidity -- not obvious, but very full and flavourful and with good body and very good length. A total bargain, it would work well with roast poultry, stir fry or turkey burgers. (LCBO 564674)

2 comments:

Carrie™ said...

I've never had wine made from the Garganega grape. I love trying new varieties, so this is on my list! Orange zest, dried cherry, gewurztraminer...sounds wonderful! We're having Chinese food for Mother's Day, so I think I'll get some of this to try.

Carrie™ said...

Big long story involving a sick dog and mega bucks at the emergency vet clinic, so we didn't get to try this with Chinese food. Mother's Day has been postponed. After a busy work day (at the Colio store in Fortino's on Plains Rd!) and the stress of a sick pet, Jim & I decided to just have this as an aperitif. The nose is very vibrant and enticing. The taste was light and quite refreshing. Not as zingy as a dry riesling or a sauvignon blanc, but not smooth and buttery either. Somewhere in between. I like it!! With summer coming fast, I can see this wine making many apperances at our place in the hot months ahead. It really is a bargain! And after what the vet charged, we need a well priced wine.
And I am going to get more for the Mother's Day Chinese food dinner. Great pick!